I have come to discover that family gatherings are enemy #1 when it comes to weight loss. It is a good thing Jennie and Ryan are in the zone when it comes to this because they made tonight a safe gathering at their house. But I can't say as much for the lot (the cabin for you outsiders). I want to start this out by saying I love the lot, I love family gatherings and I really love Mom Dopp. But, I am finding it really hard to stick with things when eating in any combination of the above three things. Jer was out of town this week so I went to the lot to spend time with some of the family. The first two days I did really well. Then time around the camp fire hit. And it was time to roast marshmellows. I had already resisted a number of things and tried to eat the best of the worst at all of the meals. I know that I can't be perfect all of the time. I was just so much in the zone before going up there. I had gone another week with no desserts and eating pretty much a perfect diet. So I really shouldn't be beating myself up here. I pretty much took a day off from the diet and realized that it really isn't all that fun any more. Fun is feeling good at the end of a day when you know you have done everything humanly possible to be healthy. Fun is feeling great with no guilt. Fun is being a good example to the girls. I guess I should be glad to have this learning experience and realize that I am changing. It is just hard to go and see all white bread, butter in all the vegetables and everything else for that matter and treats like you wouldn't believe.
I think I am starting to know how a minority might feel. When you are different from the norm. It is funny that we live in a society that the norm is so unhealthy. If you go into a restaurant and order your food to be prepared differently just to make it healthy you are almost frowned upon. You make something a little different trying to make it a little better for you and people think you are imposing on their taste buds. I am happy to see more healthy things being offered like whole wheat crust for pizza but saddened to see other things disguised as healthy when it is really bad. My pet peeve number one are labels that say trans fat free when you read the label and find hydrogenated oils in it anyway. Legally they can say that if it has less than .5 grams of it. How is this legal. Shouldn't we be allowed to know the real truth and make a decision for ourselves. What kind of government does this???
Ok so I know I am ranting here but really, it is true. So as for now, I will continue my quest to eat healthy. I can't stay away from Mom's cooking all together because it is some of the best around. I'll just have to eat less of it and pick and choose what parts to eat. Really, don't get me wrong this isn't against Mom. She is the BEST cook and one of the most giving generous people I know. She really loves us all and wants to please us. This is about my own vices. This is about me making healthy choices when I am around all of those yummy things.
2 comments:
Jen, I totally hear you. One thing we have learned is that eating healthy doesn't have to be deprivation. It is simply moderation. Shocking I know. You mean, I can't eat the entire pan of brownies. (which I have been know to do :) Instead, I'll just have one. It has been SO difficult for me to find the balance.
If I have the one - fine. But I can't beat myself up because I had only one.
Anyway.... I hear ya and you are doing great. Baby steps right. For me, I just have to remember that it took a while to put it on and it will take a while to get it off FOR GOOD. :) You can do it lady!
I was grocery shopping with Justin for healthier snacks and I was reading the nutrition labels and commenting to Justin on it and a lady come up to me and mentioned something about her roommate that watches the fat and calorie content in everything. There are more of us out there now trying to read the labels and I think that is a good thing. I've really taken a good look at everything I feed my family including cereal and I'm amazed at some of things I was letting in my house. I'm scared for the last two weeks of the competition because I will be staying with my in-laws in Cedar Hills and just like you they have some great meals but they often aren't in the healthy mindset that I am trying to be in. Hopefully by then I will be fully in the habit and might just have to make some grocery store runs while I'm on vacation to stay on track.
Post a Comment